I love this. Did the black come from the Maple or from iron added? It is gorgeous!!!!
Dawn! : ) I was printing with maple leaves and got dark black with iron (the leaf on the front). I then gathered a bunch of leaves and boiled with iron. Both samples above are dyed with maple. The first one was a wool sample that was in the dye bath for 1/2 hour.The shirt above was a second hand silk knit top first dyed with onion skins, then shibori dyed in maple dye. Still experimenting trying to find a look I love
WOW, Nina! Still trying to get this black. I am getting some beautiful dark, dark browns on wool, but harder to get on silk using euca. I'm wondering if it is only the ratio of leaf material to iron in the pot, that is preventing me from getting it. Maybe, I need less plant material and more iron. Experiments continue...
Let me know how it turns out!
This comment has been removed by the author.
I love the print on the shirt. I put some rusty things in a jar, added vinegar and left it a few days. Now I just add a few tablespoons of the strained mordant to my dye bath and love the results. Darker colors and even some blacks. I eco dye silk and I've tried wool. The wool didn't print as I had hoped but I'll give it another try.